I love that this recipe can be used many different ways. I love eating it as a dip for a snack with sliced veggies or crackers. It also makes a wonderful sandwich! I like to add lettuce and sliced beets to my sunflower seed tzatziki sandwich.
Prep: How to Soak your Sunflower Seeds
- 2 cups of raw, organic nuts or seeds (it is better to soak one kind at a time)
- 3-4 cups of warm filtered water (to cover nuts)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- Place the warm water in a medium bowl or jar (half gallon or larger). Add the salt and let dissolve.
- Add the nuts or seeds, making sure they are completely submerged in the water.
- Leave uncovered on the counter or other warm place (not the refrigerator) for at least 7 hours, preferably overnight.
- Rinse in a colander and spread on a baking sheet or dehydrator sheet. Bake in the oven at the lowest temperature (150 F is optimal) or dehydrate until completely dry. This step is important, as any remaining moisture in the nuts or seeds can cause them to mold. Dehydrating time can often be up to 24 hours, so a dehydrator simplifies the process but isn’t necessary.
Soak your sunflower seeds and then try this delicious recipe!
Sunflower Seed Tzatziki
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh dill
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- Combine the sunflower seeds, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper in a high-speed blender and puree until smooth. (You can soak sunflower in the seeds in water for 4 hours before blending to make a creamier texture. If you did not soak the seeds, you may need to add 1-2 tablespoons of water after checking texture.)
- Slice a cucumber in half and scrape out the seeds using a spoon. Press the inside of cucumber with a paper towel to absorb extra moisture.
- Slice the cucumber halves into 1/4 inch cubes. Place the cucumber in a paper towel and squeeze to remove any remaining liquid.
- Add the diced cucumber, and fresh dill, to the sunflower seed sauce and fold in until combined. Store in an airtight container and best if consumed within 3 days.
- Tags: Recipe