- 6 oz green beans, trimmed
- 3 stalks celery or 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 medium pomegranate)
- 1 large crisp apple (e.g. Fuji or Granny Smith), diced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 dates, pitted and diced (easier to cut when they’re cold)
- 1 cup diced roasted golden beets (can be done the day before)
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp fresh orange juice
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 2 tsp minced shallot
- 2 tsp 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 tsp unrefined, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp walnut oil (or use all olive oil)
- Pre-heat oven at 400°F. Wrap each beet in parchment paper and then foil. Roast in oven until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Large beets can take up to 60 minutes. Allow to cool and then peel off the skins.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water. Blanche green beans for 2 minutes in boiling, salted water. Drain and submerge into ice water. Drain, pat dry and slice on the diagonal into bite sized pieces.
- In a large bowl combine beans, chopped celery, pomegranate, apple, walnuts, dates and beets.
- Whisk all the dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Pour enough dressing over vegetables to coat lightly. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Tags: Recipe