Holiday Harvest Salad
This is a refreshing, colorful holiday salad. It’s the perfect side dish you can throw together and bring to your Thanksgiving gathering. For a more glamorous presentation, lay each ingredient out side by side on a long oval shaped serving dish. The colors are exquisite!
- 6 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 3 stalks celery or 1 bulb fennel, diced
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds (about 1 medium pomegranate)
- 1 large crisp apple (e.g. Fuji or Granny Smith), diced (peeled or unpeeled)
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped 3 dates pitted and diced (easier to cut when they’re cold) 1 cup diced roasted golden beets (can be done the day before)*
Vinaigrette (can be prepared several days in advance)
- 2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tablespoons fresh orange juice
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt a few grinds of black pepper
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons 100% pure maple syrup
- 3 Tablespoons unrefined, cold-pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons walnut oil (or use all olive oil)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.To roast 1-2 beets, wrap each one in parchment and then foil. Or roast a pan of several beets. Roast in a 400 degree oven until tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Large ones can take about 60 minutes. Allow to cool and then peel off the skins.
- Prepare a large bowl with ice water. Blanch green beans for 2 minutes in boiling, salted water. Drain and submerge into ice water. Drain, pat dry and slice on the diagonal into bite sized pieces. (Can be done the day before.)
- In a large bowl combine beans, chopped celery, pomegranate, apple, walnuts, dates and beets.
- Prepare the vinaigrette: whisk all the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pour enough vinaigrette over vegetables to coat lightly. Taste for salt and pepper.
- Tags: Recipe
← Older Post Newer Post →